
As we are discussing progression? in our new unit, a article about whether Obama will be the first president to have a laptop on his desk in the oval office and corresponding through email, made me question our progression in technology and cyberspace. The reason Obama most likely will not use his blackberry is because the Presidential Records Act, which puts all his correspondences ultimately in the hands of all American citizens, so e-mail would be the easily mode of tracking the correspondence of a president. The question of technological progression then arrives? Are we progressing in technological communication? Some would argue we can easily stay connecting with others with friendly not intruiding texts messages and less intrusive then a phone call we can email our friends about updates or information. But is everything too accessible. Is the information that goes through cyberspace so innately ungraspable that we all together lose everything we say to someone who can track all our correspondences. Have things become to impersonal and to personal with easy access to so much information with a little mastery of the internet and hacking? These questions I bet are swirling through Obama's mind as he chooses to keep or set down his blackberry for the next 4 years.
1 comment:
I just wrote my blog post on this exact same article! I thought your comments were very good though. One thing you mentioned that I thought was interesting was that Obama will get to decide whether or not he wants to keep his blackberry. I guess when I read the article I assumed that the decision wasn’t up to him, but now when I think about it, it makes sense that the president would get to choose whether or not he can keep his blackberry. And I bet that when Obama makes the decision, he will consider the question; whether or not the internet and email are actually advancements, which he would have never questioned before. One last thing, I thought it was funny how at the end of the article they used a quote from an American Studies teacher. Great job!
Post a Comment