Sunday, September 14, 2008

PERILOUS TIMES IN MODERN DAY HOLLYWOOD

So this weekend as I watched the movie 21 on my couch escaping the raining weather, the walls of the AS classroom enclosed on my TV and I found a parallel between the movie and the perilous times blog simulation in class. The movie is about a group of MIT math students that are persuaded by their Linear Equations teacher to make big bucks in Vegas by teaming up and creating a counting cards system. In the movie the perilous time comes when the main character Ben loses  2 hundred grand in a play of black jack.  In this linked scene the professor fursiouly denounces the students  in the hotel room and leaves them stranded in Las Vegas with no plane ride home to MIT. In this time of low spirits, defeat, and hopelessness the students join together as a community instead of pointing fingers for the big money loss.  Ben emerges from the group and voices a plan of action and the others despite their differences and worries choose to follow Ben. The group becomes closer in the hard time instead of trying to verbally blame each other. They hold on to each other because that's the only hope they have. 

Similarly in our perilous time simulation, the majority of the kids in our class subtly joined together in a community with a common purpose of trying to convince our teachers to keep the blog. Strong individuals in the group emerged became our leaders voicing their opinions in the shaky atmosphere and risking confrontation with authority. This double example of authority shifting and new voices leading will stand as a common human dynamic in our study of perilous times in history.


2 comments:

Jonny S said...

Christina, not only did you select a fantastic movie to watch this weekend, but you thought of a great parallel to AS class as well. I think the point you made about connecting Ben to the people who stepped up in our class to take over the authoritative position during that time of great peril was very intelligent.

Solid post

kyleg said...

Christina, I thought this was a very interesting post. I have seen 21 a couple times, and have never noticed how Ben becomes the leader during this perilous time. I agree that it was exactly what the group needed because they didn't want to take the leadership role. Ben took a gamble in this scene by suggesting that they stay in Vegas for the rest of the weekend, but it ended up being the right choice. I think all leaders who lead the way through perilous times take this gamble because the choice is usually a all or nothing choice
Great post!